Indian e-Visa Requirements for British Citizens
Eligibility for Indian e-Visa
- British Citizens are allowed to apply for an Indian e-Visa
- The UK and its citizens have had this facility from the time the Indian e-Visa was launched
- Eligible citizens can gain quicker entry into the country through the Indian e-Visa Program
Other e-Visa Information
- British Citizens can apply online for an Indian e-Visa
- Indian e-Visa is recognized at specific seaports and airports
- Indian e-Tourist Visa is available for 1 month, 1 year or 5 years
- Indian e-Business Visa is valid for 12 months
- One may also apply for an Indian e-Medical Visa online
How Can UK Citizens Complete the Indian e-Visa Application Process?
The Indian Visa for British Citizens is provided in electronic form since 2014. This is an online Indian Visa application process and hence doesn’t involve any paperwork.
British citizens can complete this process from our website and apply for an Indian e-Visa, as per the rules specified by the Government of India under its e-Visa India policy.
An Indian e-Visa is an official travel document, that allows British citizens to enter, stay and travel within India for reasons such as tourism, medical visits, meetings or conferences, yoga courses, workshops and so on. Other business-related visits are also allowed under the Indian e-Visa.
Indian Visa for British citizens can be obtained by following a simple and easy procedure, which is completely online. This includes filling out an online form and making payment in the British Sterling Pound or any of the 135 supported currencies, via Debit/Credit cards or PayPal.
It takes a few minutes to fill out the Indian Online Visa application form, submit it and make the payment. After that, our staff might require additional proof such as the applicant’s passport copy or face photograph, and they will be informed accordingly.
The applicants are to submit said documents via email or upload them at a later date. For further assistance, our Indian E visa helpdesk is available.
Do UK Citizens Need to Visit the Indian Embassy?
When a British citizen applies for Indian Visa online, the person does not need to visit the Indian Embassy or Indian Consulate at any stage of the process. Once they receive the Indian e-Visa on their email, they are free to travel.
So unlike in the traditional process, one doesn’t have to visit the Indian embassy for any confirmation or to receive a stamp on their passport either.
The applicant/Indian Visa holder’s information such as name, passport number and nationality is recorded in the central computer system of the Government of India, which the immigration officers can access from any airport in the world.
Now if you’re a British citizen, you are required to keep either a soft copy of the e-Visa you receive on your email id such as on your phone, computer, or tablet or a hard copy of the same and carry it with you to the airport.
As already mentioned, you need not have your passport stamped when applying for Indian Visa online.
Do UK Citizens Need To Courier Documents to The Indian Embassy?
No, UK citizens do not have to courier any documents when the Indian e-Visa is concerned. They can send the needed documents via email when asked by the Government of India or the Immigration officers during the Indian Visa application process.
Alternatively, you can also upload documents on our website if needed to support your online Visa application.
The applicant of the Indian e-Visa would receive a link on the email address they mention in their e-Visa application form. British citizens are also allowed to send an email directly to our official helpdesk.
How Can We Assist UK Citizens When They Apply For Indian e-Visa?
The biggest advantage that UK citizens enjoy when applying for Indian Visa online is that they can provide the supporting documents needed for their Indian Visa application to us via email or simply upload these to the portal.
Also, you may email these documents to us on our Indian E visa customer support in any file format like JPG, TIF, PNG, JPEG, SVG and more. This is useful when you want to save time, or aren’t accustomed to converting or compressing files.
The Indian Visa application can be rejected due to blurred photographs or passport scan copies, which was fairly common when one had to visit the Indian embassy physically.
The Government of India can require additional documents from the applicants, and you can know to click here to know more about Indian e-Visa document requirements.
Also, more information on passport and photograph requirements is available on Indian e-Visa passport requirements and Indian e-Visa photograph requirements respectively.
Can a British Passport Holder Apply For Indian e-Business Visa?
A British citizen can apply for Indian Visa from the United Kingdom to visit India for business, as well as for tourism or medical-related visits.
Business-related visits and more information on them are available on the Indian e-Business Visa page.
How Long Does a British Application Take To Be Approved?
British citizens that finish the e-Visa application process successfully, by following the guidelines, giving correct information such as their name, surname, date of birth etc. on the Indian Visa Application Form Online can expect to receive the decision on their application within 3-4 business days.
Although, depending on the accuracy of the information they provide and the presence of public holidays in India at the time of application, it could take up to 7 business days.
Also, the applicants must submit any additional documents as well such as a Business card as required in the e-Business Visa or a letter from a hospital for the e-Medical Visa.
And of course, the standard documents such as a scanned copy of their British passport or a photograph of the applicant’s face are needed too.
What Are the Advantages of Indian e-Visa That UK Citizens Can Enjoy?
Here are some of the advantages of the Indian Visa Online (Indian e-Visa):
- Depending on the type of visa being applied for, British citizens can obtain an Indian Visa online valid for up to 5 years.
- British citizens can enter India multiple times using the e-Visa.
- They can utilize their Indian e-Visa to stay in India continuously for up to 180 days, and enjoy uninterrupted entry in India. Only a few countries like the US and UK enjoy this facility, while visitors from other nations are allowed to stay continuously for up to 90 days only.
- The Indian Visa online is valid in 28 airports and 5 seaports, other than land-based immigration checkpoints for visitors.
- The Indian Visa online allows entry in all states and Union territories of India.
- The Indian e-Visa can be used to travel to India for Medical, Tourism and Business purposes by British citizens.
Limitations of Indian e-Visa For British Citizens
There are a few limitations with regards to the Indian Visa online. These are:
- British citizens are not allowed to pursue journalism, filmmaking, any university degree in India or paid work on the Indian e-Visa.
- The Indian Visa Online does not allow the Visa holder to enter military or cantonment areas. Those interested in such protected sites have to secure separate permission.
What Should A British Citizen Know When Arriving In India on e-Visa?
The information we provide to the British citizens about Indian e-Visa on this website should be sufficient for them. But some additional guidance, as mentioned below should help you prevent embarrassment or refusal of entry to India.
Do Not Overstay
India has strict laws and all Visa holders, including British Citizens travelling on Indian e-Visa are to respect them. A fine of 300 dollars is applicable for anyone exceeding their stay by as much as 90 days.
Similarly, those exceeding their stay by 2 up to years are to pay a 500 dollars fine.
The Government of India can take legal steps to impose these penalties. Moreover, anyone extending their stay in India would harm their reputation, which would make it difficult to obtain visas for other countries later on.
Take a Printout of the Indian e-Visa
While a soft copy of the Indian e-Visa is recognized at the supported immigration checkpoints, British citizens are suggested to also carry a printout with them.
This would act as auxiliary verification in case they are unable to show the soft copy on their mobile or computer, for example, if it is damaged or has run out of battery.
Ensure Passport Has At least Two Blank pages
The Government of India never approaches British Citizens to get their physical passport stamped, and only requests a scanned copy of the first page of it during the Indian e-Visa application process.
But you must have 2 empty pages on your passport so that Immigration officers can stamp them on your identification at an Indian airport.
A passport Must Be Valid for at At least 6 Months
Your travel document (passport) has to be valid for 6 months on the date of the Indian Visa application.
What Is the Application Process for Indian e-Visa That British Citizens Are To Follow?
British Citizens are to follow the given steps when applying for the Indian e-Visa:
- Fill out the simple and easy Indian Visa application form that takes around 3-5 minutes for most applicants.
- Complete payment in any of the 137 supported currencies, through any of the supported payment methods.
- Submit any additional documents, if needed by the Government of India. We would notify you if any further documents are required.
- Wait to receive an approved Indian e-Visa on your email.
- Once you receive it, you can travel to the convenient airport.
- You don’t need to visit the Indian Embassy.
- You don’t require a stamp on your passport.
- Indian e-Visa is recorded on computer systems, that can be accessed by Immigration officers from any airport in the world.
- It is suggested that you only travel once you receive an approved Indian e-Visa on your email.
What Should a British Citizen Do Once They Receive Their Approved Indian e-Visa via email?
When your e-Visa application is approved, it would be notified to you via email. You’d find a PDF attachment in it that you can carry with you to the airport, or can also take a print of the Indian Visa online (Indian e-Visa).
You may visit any airport in the UK or an offshore one to travel to India.
Is An Indian Visa For British Citizens Needed If They Arrive Via Cruise Ship?
Yes, British Citizens require an Indian e-Visa when travelling via a cruise ship. Following are the supported seaports:
The Top 10 Places To Visit In India For British Citizens
- The Taj Mahal, Agra
- Valley of Flowers, Nainital
- Umaid Bhavan Palace, Jodhpur
- Jaisalmer Fort, Jaisalmer
- Ruins of Hampi, Karnataka
- Backwaters, Kerala
- Old Goa, Goa
- Jama Masjid, Delhi
- Akshardham Temple, Delhi
- Ghats at Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh