What is an Indian e-Visa?
The introduction of the Indian e-Visa or e-Visa on arrival is one of the major changes the Government of India has made to its Visa policy.
Unlike the traditional way where the applicants had to visit an Indian embassy to obtain an Indian Visa, this is a completely online process.
This means that as an applicant, you can obtain your Indian Visa in an electronic format, simply by completing the e-Visa application procedure. Upon that and successful payment, you have to wait 3-4 days (typically) before your Indian e-Visa is sent to you on your email.
The Visa on arrival was first applicable to tourists. Later, it has been extended to those having business purposes in the country (e-Business Visa), as well as those seeking medical treatment (e-Medical Visa).
Those that are only going to stay at an Indian Aiport for a layover or transfer, do not need this kind of Visa.
Which Type of e-Visa Do You Need For Your Visit To India?
- If your purpose of the visit is purely recreational or tourism, then you need the Indian e-Tourist Visa.
- If you have business-related purposes in India, then you require an Indian e-Business Visa.
- If you’re looking for medical treatment/therapy in India, you must apply for an Indian e-Medical Visa.
For those that are willing to act as attendants to a near one getting medical treatment in India, there is the Indian e-Medical Attendant Visa.
Indian e-Tourist Visa
The e-Tourist Visa allows a person to gain authorized entry to India for the following:
- Sightseeing and tourism
- Visit a friend or relative’s place in the country
- Short term Yoga course
The Indian e-Tourist Visa is of three types:
- 30-day e-Tourist Visa which is a Double entry visa
- 1-year e-Tourist Visa which is a Multiple entry visa
- 5-year e-Tourist Visa which is also a Multiple entry
When applying for any of the Indian e-Tourist Visa, know that you won’t be allowed to stay in India for more than 180 days.
Indian e-Business Visa
The Indian e-Business Visa is an online document authorizing a person to enter India for the following purposes:
- Buying or selling goods or services in India
- Attending business conferences and meetings
- Setting up a business or recruiting employees
- Conducting business tours
- Delivering lectures under the scheme of the Global Initiative for Academic Networks (GIAN),
- Taking part in exhibitions and trade fairs
- To work as an expert or specialist for a commercial project
The e-Business Visa is valid for 1 year or 365 days, although you aren’t allowed to stay in the country continuously for more than 180 days.
Indian e-Medical Visa
The e-Medical Visa is for those people that want to travel to India to get treatment for a health condition that they have. It is a short-term Visa valid for 60 days only, however, it is a Triple Entry Visa.
Indian e-Medical Attendant Visa
The e-Medical Attendant visa allows you to enter India when accompanying/attending a Medical Visa holder or applicant.
Only two e-Medical attendant Visas are acknowledged against one e-Medical Visa, and these are also valid for 60 days and are Triple Entry Visas.
Indian e-Conference Visa
The e-Conference Visa for India is given to those that want to visit the country to attend a conference, seminar or workshop.
These must be organized by an Indian ministry or department under the Central, State or Union Territories or any other organizations connected to these.
Guidelines of e-Visa Application
The Indian e-Visa application procedure is online, so you don’t have to visit the embassy to obtain it. However, when applying for the Indian e-Visa you should know the following details about it:
- One may apply for an Indian e-Visa only up to three times in a single year.
- Those eligible for the Visa must apply for it at least 4-7 days before their date of fight or entry in India.
- The e-Visa is not convertible or extendable, but there are exceptions.
- The Indian e-Visa does not grant one access to Protected, Restricted, or Cantonment Areas, and separate permissions are needed for these.
- Every e-Visa applicant needs to apply individually and have their own Passport for the Indian e-Visa. So parents or children cannot be included in your application, and they too must apply separately.
- You can only use a Standard passport as a travel document other than your Passport. No other type such as Diplomatic or Official passports is allowed.
- The Standard passport should be valid for at least the next 6 months from the date of the applicant’s entry into India. There must be 2 blank pages on it as well so that the Immigration Officer can stamp it.
- You need to possess a return or onward ticket out of India and also have sufficient money to fund the current trip to India.
- During your stay in India, you should always carry your e-Visa with you.
Countries Eligible for e-Visa
Authorized Points Of Entry in India
For someone travelling with an e-Visa, here are the airports and seaports that have Immigration checkpoints suitable for their entry.
Airports That Support Entry Through Indian e-Visa
Seaports That Support Entry Through Indian e-Visa:
Apply For the Indian e-Visa Today
Our website allows you to apply for the Indian Visa online, following which you would receive the e-Visa on your email id once the payment is made and the application is approved.
You can consider our help desk for any queries or updates regarding your e-Visa application. We also provide the necessary updates and news about India Visa from time to time.